Search for content in message boards

kersey name origin

kersey name origin

jennifer Kersey (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 2000 11:02PM GMT
I am looking for the origin of the kersey name. At this point i know nothing about where it originates from or what it might mean. I live in arkansas and have all my life. My family has been here all along as far as I know. Any info that anyone might ahve is very much appreciated. My fathers name is Jim kersey my grandparents are Herbert Lillian kersey. THe kersey brothers herbert charles married the sisters Lillian leotha. thank you

Kersey Name

Chris Kersey (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2001 8:45AM GMT
Here is some of what I know..
There is a Village in England,,
with the name of Kersey.. and also
there is a type of woven cloth that
has the name Kersey.. now I don`t
know though.. if the Cloth gave us
our name. I would hope not.
or if we gave the town and Cloth our
name.... but in this village in England
there is a Church.. and in theis church.
there is a registry. in that registry.
there are several Kerseys. dating way way
back.. how far back I ain`t sure. you may
have to get into contact with my brother.
whos address is: Ktitan1@aol.com
Cause all of this is what my brother told
me.. he was stationed in England in the
Air Force, and had visited this Church..

Chris Kersey

kersey name

jennifer kersey-hunt (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2001 12:29PM GMT
i just wanted to say thank you for responding.

Kersey surname origin

Posted: 6 May 2001 7:12AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2001 1:14PM GMT
Hi Jen

My mother is a Kersey and I just happen to have moved to England and research name meanings so I thought I'd help.

Kersey is a village in the county of Suffolk - if you look on a map of England it's on the Eastern side, inland from the town of Ipswich. It's known as a picturesque village with a river flowing through the town centre.

Kersey means 'watercress island' and is Old English in origin. There is a coarse wool cloth called kersey but it's not known if the cloth originated in the town or if it's name comes from a contraction of 'coarsey'. The surname came not from the cloth, but from the village. Why the village was called Kersey is anyone's guess - it's several miles inland!

My branch of the Kersey's are having a reunion this August in WV and I plan to go take some pictures of the village to take with me. If I can, I'll try to post them on the net so all the Kersey's out there can see where their ancestors were from!

cheers

Devon

Kersey surname origin

Posted: 6 May 2001 7:13AM GMT
Hi Jen

My mother is a Kersey and I just happen to have moved to England and research name meanings so I thought I'd help.

Kersey is a village in the county of Suffolk - if you look on a map of England it's on the Eastern side, inland from the town of Ipswich. It's known as a picturesque village with a river flowing through the town centre.

Kersey means 'watercress island' and is Old English in origin. There is a coarse wool cloth called kersey but it's not known if the cloth originated in the town or if it's name comes from a contraction of 'coarsey'. The surname came not from the cloth, but from the village. Why the village was called Kersey is anyone's guess - it's several miles inland!

My branch of the Kersey's are having a reunion this August in WV and I plan to go take some pictures of the village to take with me. If I can, I'll try to post them on the net so all the Kersey's out there can see where their ancestors were from!

cheers

Devon

Kersey descendant from WV

Posted: 10 May 2001 2:02PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2001 2:37PM GMT
Would there happen to be a Rebecca Elizabth Kersey in your lineage. She is my great-great grandmother. I have had no luck with that side of the tree.
Posted: 11 May 2001 1:41AM GMT
I haven't come across a Rebecca Elizabeth Kersey yet but I doubt I have the names of all the siblings as I'm going off census records and family memories only at this point. Any idea of where she was born or any of her sibling's names? Perhaps I could give some clue that way.

cheers

Devon

Rebecca Elizabeth Kersey

Posted: 12 May 2001 8:44PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2001 2:37PM GMT
I only know that married Andrew Jackson Kersey Jr. Her mother and father were Charles Kersey and Mary Jane Ferrell. Charles' father was William Kersey. (I think.) As far as I know, there were no sibilings with Rebecca. Thanks.

Karri

Rebecca Kersey

Posted: 13 May 2001 2:37AM GMT
We may have hit pay dirt. I have William Kersey born @ 1825 in Virginia. He worked as a farm laborer and had a son Charles S. born @ 1850 (he was listed as age 10 in the 1860 census). Charles was the older brother of my ancestor James Edward Kersey.

I can find no Andrew Jackson Kersey but Andrew Jackson was a family name of the Harpers who lived in the area and there was an Andrew Jackson Harper Jr. James Edward married Mary Jane Harper, daughter of Andrew Jackson Harper. She had a brother Andrew Jackson Harper (Jr. though they didn't list it that way) born March 1862 in Roane County. Perhaps this is Rebecca's husband or more likely, father-in-law? I've found several connections between the Kersey's and Harper's.

cheers

Devon

kersey's history--England

paul kersey (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2001 6:15PM GMT
Need as much information on John Kersey born around 1633and his connection to England. please help
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions