Search for content in message boards

Donald Morrison from N. Uist, Outer Hebrides, Scotland

Donald Morrison from N. Uist, Outer Hebrides, Scotland

Posted: 13 Sep 2004 9:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jan 2006 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: Morrison, MacDonald
I am seeking information on my mother's side of the Morrison Clan. Donald Morrison b. 1826 in N. Uist, father was Malcolm Edward Morrison, mother was Margaret Curran, wife was Sarah MacDonald. He emigrated from Scotland to Nova Scotia (Cape Breton). Died in Whycocomagh, NS in 1917.
Any information will be appreciated.

Re: Donald Morrison from N. Uist, Outer Hebrides, Scotland

J. Blair MacAulay (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2004 7:07PM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2005 11:24PM GMT
Surnames: Morrison
Bob
There are no surviving records in North Uist that provide any information on "your" Donald Morrison. As is frequently the case, the only information on Donald is what is available in Cape Breton. My records indicated that he died 15 Dec 1917 and is buried in Stewartdale Cemetery, Inverness County, Cape Breton. I can give you the the monumental inscription of his gravestone if you do not already have it.
My records cover every person born North Uist before 1871 who is mentioned in any document or extant available record (I have detailed records on more than 16,000 persons). After some 30 years of research and more than 20 visits to North Uist I can pretty well assure you that you are not going to find any more information on your Morrison line in Scotland. Your best hope is for information from sources in Cape Breton, either written or oral.
The Morrisons of North Uist were originally "incomers" from Harris and are usually found in the areas along the north coast of North Uist.
Blair MacAulay (Oakville, ON)

Posted: 25 Sep 2004 7:43PM GMT
Surnames: Morrison, Ferguson, MacKinnon, MacDonald, Malcolm
Thank you very much for your reply. You mention "your" records include persons born in N. Uist before 1871.
I have several others born before that date including Morrison, Ferguson, MacKinnon, MacDonald and Malcolm. Is it possible you might have further information?
Thank you again

J. Blair MacAulay (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2004 12:56PM GMT
Bob
I have records on every known person born North Uist before 1875 (more than 16,000 persons) containing all known information on eaqch person.
Who else born North Uist before 1871 are you looking for?
Blair MacAulay (Toronto)

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 9:51PM GMT
Surnames: Morrison, Ferguson, MacKinnon, MacDonald, Malcolm
Blair,
Thank you for your reply. I am seeking information on the following all born before 1875 in N. Uist.
Donald Morrison b. Jun 1826
Neil (John) Ferguson b. 21 Jun 1824
Capt. John Ferguson b. ? in S. Uist
Catherine MacKinnon b. 1800
Malcolm Edward Morrison b. ?
Fergus Ferguson b. Jun 1819
Donald Ferguson b. c 1820
Flora Ferguson b. c1822 S. Uist
Sarah Marion Ferguson b 25 Oct 1829
Isabel Ferguson b. 30 Oct 1831
Donald MacDonald b 1838
Catherine Malcolm b. 1815
John Morrison b. c 1816
Fenley (Finlay) ( Finley ) Morrison b. 1822
Donald Morrison b. 20 Aug 1819
Thanks,
Bob

Posted: 12 Nov 2004 10:05AM GMT
Edited: 4 Apr 2005 11:27PM GMT
Bob
That is quite a list! Undoubtedly some or all of the persons on your list are undoubtedly related and it would assist me if you could provide any such relationships.
I suspect that most of the persons on your list left North Uist at an early date. For example, the first person on your list, “Donald Morrison b Jun 1826”. Donald left North Uist before 1841 as he does not appear there in the 1841 Census. The only reference that I have ever come across of his existence is the following monumental inscription in Stewartdale Cemetery, Inverness Co., Cape Breton
"Donald Morrison, born North Uist June 1826 died 15 Dec 1917, Wife Sarah, born Whycocomagh March 1829 died 15 Nov 1905. Erected by son Peter".
There are only a very few records extant relating to North Uist that pre-date 1841. If you e-mail me at blair macaulay @ yahoo. com (spaces have been inserted to deter spammers and all should be deleted) I will send you a short monograph (in Adobe Acrobat format) on North Uist genealogical research that explains what information is available and some background of general interest that explains a bit about life in North Uist in times past. You should also provide to me at such address, as requested above, any relationships between the persons on your list.
As indicated in my original message, I have individual records and notes on every person born North Uist before 1875 for whom there is any written public record in Scotland. Also, I have attempted to collect any remaining “oral history” still extant in North Uist on my some 20 visits there over the past 30 years.
(To those reading this thread please note that my database is limited to ONLY persons born North Uist before 1875. I have no records relating to persons born in other areas of the Western Isles.)
Blair MacAulay (Oakville, ON)

Posted: 12 Nov 2004 7:01PM GMT
Blair,

Thanks for the reply, I will carry this on directly to you at the e-mail address you furnished.

Bob

Shawn Morrison (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2005 2:44AM GMT
Hi - thank you VERY much for posting that information! I have been 'stuck' on Malcolm and Margaret for some time now, and because of your information I was able to add his middle name and Margaret's surname to my records.

Have you been able to find any more information about Malcolm and Margaret? - I have no idea where they died, etc. I know they are not buried at the Stewartdale Cem in Whycocomagh (at least, I couldn't find them there), but I know nothing else about them other than they seem to have emmigrated to Cape Breton in 1833 when Donald was about 8 years old.

I'm very interested in swapping information with you. I have lots of information on the Morrison side, and would love to see what you have.

Cheers,
Shawn

Posted: 1 Dec 2008 8:07PM GMT
Hi,

Not sure if anyone is still following this message board but...
My name is Dana Jones and while doing some research on my family, I came upon your post on here the Ancestry.com message board regarding Donald Morrison.

My great grandmother is Catherine Morrison and she came from Cape Breton. I have records of her marriage in the U.S. (1888), but nothing in the U.S. census on her prior to 1900. On her marriage record, it states that her parents are Donald and Sarah Morrison from Nova Scotia and other records I have indicate that Donald was born in Scotland.

Until I saw your post on the Ancestry.com message board, I thought I was at a dead end, but I believe that this must be the same Donald and Sarah Morrison that I am looking for.

I would very much appreciate any information you can send me regarding Donald and Sarah Morrison. I’d also be happy to share with you any information I have on Catherine Morrison.

Thanks,

Dana Jones
Massachusetts

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 9:04PM GMT
Does anyone know if Blair MacAulay is still around & about? I see he hasn't posted anything here since 2005.

I'm looking for some assistance with some NUist Morrisons before 1871 & hoped to engage his expertise.

Cheers, Jan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 AncestryPrivacyTerms and Conditions