Search for content in message boards

Will of James Holsey of Hancock Co., Ga.

Will of James Holsey of Hancock Co., Ga.

Posted: 19 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Will
Edited: 13 Oct 2002 4:58AM GMT
Surnames: Holsey, Ingram
Hopkins Holsey’s father, James Holsey, died about 1816 and his will was proved on October 8, 1816. His will is on file in Hancock Co., Ga. Book I page 149.

In the name of God, Amen: I James Holsey of the county of Hancock and the State of Georgia being weak in body, but of sound and perfect mind and memory, do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner and form following that is today, first, I lend to my beloved wife, Susannah Holsey one third of my whole estate both real and personal during her natural life and at her death, I give and bequeath the whole of my negroes and the rest of my personal property, to be equally divided among my five children, viz., Gideon Holsey, Hopkins Holsey , Eliza Holsey, Susan Holsey & James Holsey.

I do also give and bequeath to my three sons, viz., Gideon Holsey, Hopkins Holsey & James Holsey the whole of my real estate as they come of lawful age or marry on their paying my two daughters, viz., Eliza Holsey & Susan Holsey one thousand dollars to each (in equal proportions) which I devise to them in lieu of any of my real property. Lastly, I do hereby nominate my worthy friends Duke Hamilton, William Terrell and Edward Hamilton my Executors to this my last will and testament until my two sons Gideon Holsey & Hopkins Holsey arrive at lawful age at which time my desire is that they shall act as my only executors.

J. Holsey (Seal)

Hopkins Holsey was born August 25, 1799, near Lynchburg, Va., the son of James Holsey and Susannah (Ingram) Holsey. His father and mother were married in Brunswick Co., Va. on March 20. 1797. They migrated to Georgia and were in Hancock County, Ga. in 1810.

Is James Holsey (the father of Hopkins Holsey) Related to Lucious Holsey

Posted: 3 Oct 2010 1:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Holsey
Records show that the father and owner of Bishop Lucious Henry Holsey (a famous Methodist African-American minister) was named James Holsey. Apparently, both individuals came from in or near Hancock county. Is it possible that this James Holsey or his son James is Bishop Holsey's father?

Re: Is James Holsey (the father of Hopkins Holsey) Related to Lucious Holsey

Posted: 6 Dec 2010 5:51PM GMT
Yes!
2. GIDEON2 HOLSEY (JAMES1) was born Abt. 1798. He married LOUISA M. GRIGG February 01, 1820 in Hancock Co., Ga.

Children of GIDEON HOLSEY and LOUISA GRIGG are:
i. GIDEON3 HOLSEY, b. 1827.
ii. LOUISA M. HOLSEY, b. 1833.
iii. ELLA HOLSEY, b. 1838.

3. HOPKINS2 HOLSEY (JAMES1) was born August 25, 1799 in Brunswick Co., VA, and died March 31, 1859 in Taylor Co., GA. He married (1) ELIZABETH BLAKE MITCHELL June 27, 1826 in Hancock Co., Ga. She was born in Jones Co., GA, and died April 1837 in Charlotte, North Carolina. He married (2) JULIA NEISLER September 26, 1850 in Georgia, daughter of HUGH NEISLER.

Child of HOPKINS HOLSEY and ELIZABETH MITCHELL is:
i. JULIUS H.3 HOLSEY, b. 1836, Charlotte, North Carolina.

4. JAMES M.2 HOLSEY (JAMES1) died 1848. He met LOUISA GRIGGS.

Child of JAMES HOLSEY and LOUISA GRIGGS is:
i. LUCIOUS H.3 HOLSEY, b. 1842, Columbus, GA; d. 1920; m. HARRIETT A. TURNER.

Posted: 7 Jan 2011 4:40AM GMT
Thanks, I didn't think it was a coincidence. Holse is an unusual name & the community is small. R u a Holsey too?

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 2:44PM GMT
I believe my grandfather who is Nathaniel Holsey is the son of Louisa Holsey. He was born in Hancock county.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 AncestryPrivacyTerms and Conditions